Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Tour of "Camp", a.k.a My Home

Welcome to the ACTS work camp, otherwise known as "camp." This is the temporary living quarters set up to house the 20 or so Ugandan and N. American ACTS staff while we work in an area on water, health and environmental projects. A project typically lasts 6-10 months. I believe I will be here at least 4-5 months, perhaps longer.


My favorite view of camp, when the sun is rising like in this photo. The shorter term staff (like Canadian interns and myself) stay in the tents. The Ugandan staff stay in the dorm-like buildings in the background. There's a banana plantation behind the grass mat fence on the right side of the photo.


Our living quarters...safari tents on platforms under grass-thatched roofs. My second favorite view - rather exotic, I think.


And the tents are quite spacious. I get one all to myself. This is my "house"/bedroom/only space where I am not watched. :-) I sleep on the left under the mosquito net, although the elevation is high enough (5,000 ft.), and I've hardly seen any mosquitoes.


Our office building. Not quite like the high-rise buildings of major cities, but still functional. The gray cylindrical object in the the foreground is our hand-washing station. They place them outside the dining hall and latrines for convenient hand washing.


And the inside of our office. We just got a new tin roof b/c the grass and plastic one started leaking seriously after they worked on the solar panels. Speaking of solar panels... If we get sun, we have power and I have (slow) internet access. If it rains for too long, it's a no go. Our only connection to the outside world are our phones.


View from the office door. In the distance you'll see a church building and Tim meeting with the water management committee in traditional African style - out in the open, and under a tree if it is sunny. Michael is the small boy in the foreground. More pics of him later...


Looking into the camp compound from the gate. The dining hall is the building you see.

Hope you enjoyed the tour! More to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment