Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things


“When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I’m feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don’t feel so bad...”

“Emuly! Emury!” chilren’s voices yell from beyond the camp’s fence.  I recognized my name even though it can vary greatly around here.  I look up and see several children perched on the large black coils of plastic water pipe. They wave and I wave back; I can see their contagious grins even at this distance.  These are the neighbor children, some of my favourite and most beautiful. They often call for me to “bring my ball” so we can play, and sometimes I do.


Michael and Willis (our cook's boys) and neighborhood children. Usa is in the pink shirt. He's got my favorite smile. (Photo by Ray Pang)

This morning as I sat at my computer I heard my name again, but with a phrase I never heard before. “Emily, I have mango!” I admit, sometimes I ignore their calls, but this time the oldest boy (maybe 8) was holding a small yellow mango in the air.  He called again, “Emily, I have mango!” I decided to go see what they wanted.  I went to the gate and they came running. The oldest boy handed me the mango – it was a gift for me!  Then the younger ones timidly added two more.  I thanked them sincerely – “Wasingya kutsibu.” I was left speechless, my heart stolen by their smiles, thoughtfulness and generosity. They were giving me what they had, and they had brought them just for me. 

This was one of my favorite things. And when I remember these things, missing home doesn’t seem quite so bad.

7 comments:

  1. How touching, Emily. A gentle reminder that God has not forgotten you, and knows your heart. The children were probably as excited to give it to you as you were to receive it :)You are thought of often and in my prayers. Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily, Thanks for posting! You sound like a girl after my own heart - I love children. May God bless you richly this coming week. Know Chippewa E-Free Church has you in our prayers! BTW - that's one of my favorite movies =) Blessings! Anna (aka: meant2live - I email you for prayer updates)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So precious! You are loved around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought tears to my eyes! You are loved!
    Wish I could taste some mango :)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a precious story! Thank you so much for sharing that! Felt like we participated in that very special "gift moment"! Love ya! Janice & Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Em! This is so beautiful! Thank you so much for recording this seemingly small - but incredibly big moment! I wish I could tast some mango, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading your blog posts Emily. I hope and pray that things continue to go well and that God will bless all the work that you do.

    ReplyDelete